Monday, January 16, 2012

First days in Ethiopia! (redo)

So I’m writing on the second or third day of my being here. It’s weird for the days to blur and me to have no idea what day of the week it is already, but it’s happening to a degree.

The plane ride was OK. The US Airways flight was the worse of the two flights: longer flight, less leg room, and I was in the middle-ish seat. The Lufthansa flight had spacy-er seats. I slept mostly on the Lufthansa flight for a couple of hours out of the 13-hour flight time.

My first full day here Jonnett and I worked on making sugar cookies for the kids at BCI for their Christmas program. We had to make around 400(or was it 200?). It was ridiculous. So, the oven here isn’t like ours, obviously. It’s a gas one, so the only heat source is from the bottom and it doesn’t circulate well, so the bottoms burnt while the tops barely were cooked. It was enjoyable, though. Two of the New Zealand kids came over to help, so that was a time-reducer greatly. (Since we were making them from scratch, not store-bought junk.)

We also made icing(though apparently it didn’t taste good—I didn’t think to/want to taste it, so I don’t know firsthand). But something from that is that you can make confectioner’s sugar with regular sugar by grinding it in a coffee grinder.

(BTW, my thoughts are very sporadic as I type this, so bear with me.)

Last night(late) a team from Wisconsin(I think it was) came. Today all of us went on a tour of the churches.

It feels weird for me right now around them. I mean, They’re 20-weekers and are doing normal 2-week things(home visits, whatever are they want to work in, etc) whereas for me I’m short-terming not doing the same things as they are. (Well, once the ball gets rolling.) But it’s my first few days here so I need information as much as they do, but it’s weird ‘cause I’m not with them, they’re not my group.

And that’s another thing. I haven’t done anything related to my “mission vision” or whatever. It’s somewhat obvious not to be thrust into it all on my first couple of days, but from what I understood((*Note to be mentioned in a few*)) it seems like I might be starting teaching at the Academy Monday, but I’ll go to the end of the week which is the end of their finals and then they have a 15-day break. So I think Mussie said I’ll be doing home visits then.


So, for that note earlier. Obviously when habasha’s(nationals) speak english, it’ll be thickly accented depending on the person. Well, Mussie supposedly is the best to understand(or at least he is to Jonnett), but it’s hard for me. I think it’s because my brain shuts off focus to foreign languages(unless I’m trying to speak/understand it) and how he speaks is like Amharic but with English words. So my brain fluctuates focus and I miss a lot.

So Mussie asked me when I wanted to start working at the Academy, and I told him any time. He then went to say something that sounded like I’ll be teaching for a week and then go on a 15-day hiatus until schools lets back in.

As for teaching Fekerite, it seems like it’s going to be in the evening time((which would co-work with my home-visiting during the 15-day school break since home visits, tmk, are done during the day)) because she is working on sewing as a trade. And learning a trade is highest priority for her. Without a trade, there is no livelihood for when she graduates out of BCI. As of yet I haven’t met her or her brother(though Jonnett pointed out Adana as he was walking past at the Christmas Party).

I tried injera and wot for the first time today. The injera was alright, but it was much thinner than expected and tasteless. The wot was good, but the ratio of spiciness and meat was weighing too heavily on the spicy side. It wasn’t incredibly hot, but it was more like eating a mild hot sauce packet from Taco Bell than eating a stew. I think if there were more meat it would be fine. Or if I had a thicker bread to sop it with. Jonnett got some kinda of wot chicken tips or something that was good. I’d probably prefer that over the wot(unless it was thicker or had sopping loaves).

No comments:

Post a Comment