Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Beginnings.

I have created blog to chronicle the events of my missions trip to Ethiopia. I plan to update this blog with anything regarding the trip prior to it, and then as often as I can with spiritual nuggets God gives me while I'm over there.

To begin, the name of this blog is a run off of another blog I've had(Which is entitled "Kevin's Bucket o' Nuggets.") I saw it appropriate to keep the theme, while adding the theme of Ethiopia. (I might change it to a common Ethiopian food once I arrive over there. =P )

Let me also give you back story to learning this is (potentially) God's will for me.

Last year my sister(Jonnett) went to Ethiopia in October for a two-week missions trip serving with Blessing the Children International(BCI). While there, the children stole her heart and she feels very strongly that God is calling her to be a missionary over there. Her plans are to leave again in October of 2011 and stay there for two years serving as a missionary. Once the two years are up she will return to the States for a presently unknown length of time then return to Ethiopia.

While in Ethiopia, Jonnett encountered a deaf girl named Fekerite. From what I have been told my sister, Fekerite doesn't know any sign language and her family doesn't either. (And I don't think the staff members of BCI know sign language.)


So, I feel God is burdening me to go there for an extended missions trip(4 mos)beginning in October of this yea and build a bond with the girl, teaching her and her family--and the staff members--sign language.

In addition to teaching sign language, I will serve in whatever manner I can. I plan on bringing all the music I have electronically to be able to play for church services and be prepared for whatever else God wishes of my piano playing abilities. I also plan to bring over, electronically, interesting games and activities my church youth group has played throughout the years.

There may be other areas in which God has for me that I am presently unaware of, but I pray I will be willing and able.


So, that's the story. The entries from here on out will be filled with praise, prayer requests, lessons, and more that God presses me to post. (I already have one in mind for after this one. :D ) (Actually, two. ^_^;)


In the end, please pray for me as I seek to do God's will in this matter. Pray that God will prepare me physically, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. Pray that I will be able to strengthen my abilities in sign language and piano, and that I will be able to practice whatever I may be doing over there here in the states beforehand. (There was a time where I might have been able to do the requested prayer, but things didn't fall into place then.)

Pray that I will learn as many lessons before and during the trip as I possibly can. Pray that I will be able to apply those truths.
Pray that I will be able to choose to be the Christian God wants me to be both now and during the trip.
Pray that I will be a blessing to the children, to BCI, and to those I leave behind in the States.

-Kevin Barrick

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kevin!
    Wow. I am so glad you found my blog, because now I can read your's! This trip looks incredible - and you're staying for four months??? Ah, I'm so jealous! Ethiopia is an amazing country, as it sounds like your sister has discovered. You are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete