Monday, September 17, 2012

Random Memories

Whenever I get into an Ethiopian mood (which is very often), I like to peruse Google to find blogs of other missionaries who went there or are currently there. A lot of my research ends up being adopting parents who aren't missionaries over there, or perhaps only have gone over there for sake of adoption protocol. And that's cool and great and all, but I like having that unspoken bond with strangers that ministering to these kiddoes bring. Sometimes my searches come up often--rather, often now that I've exhausted Google's supply. I'm now left with waiting for the "Missions Trip Season" to come and go so that more people will have had the opportunity to go to Ethiopia from around the US or world.

But when I do find blogs, I like to read random things. Like, obviously, their ministries, but also their day-to-day. I try to keep my Ethiopian blog versatile. I don't want it all a campaign pitch; I don't want it all photos; I don't want it all random nuggets of truth. I want it all in a well-balanced medium.

So this entry is simply a sharing of memories. When practical, I'll attach photos so you can see what I saw. I'll try to write descriptively enough so you don't need photos. :)

~~

The night was probably half-way through my trip. Power was out, so I opted not to use my computer so I would be able to have it charged if I really needed it. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but I eventually found myself over at New Zealand chilling with them and playing games. Jonnett and Mussie were in Addis so I was alone. Well, after the party night at New Zealand, I went back to the Guest House to eat supper and get ready for bed. As I was walking back, I began to go through the list of what I could eat. We had a gas stove, so I could still cook. But because it was pitch black, I didn't feel like cutting any vegetables for whatever I could've made (as tradition has it, I probably would've made pasta salad. :P ). So I was like "Guess I'm not eating," then I remembered that I had bought some Ramen noodles in Addis just for this reason when I was hungry but didn't want to belabor cooking.
In the midst of my thinking, a realization grabbed hold of my awareness and pulled me back into reality. There was no moon. And things were even darker. No power--no house or street lights. No moon--even less light. I then began to crane my neck trying to find the moon. Nope. No moon. Now the glistening sky of stars shone even brighter and that caught my attention. So I hurried upstairs to my room to grab my noodles and mp3 player, rushed to cook it, and then went up to the balcony and laid out on a mattress an watched the stars, listening to my music, in awe of God.




Grocery shopping. :) Those were fun times.



Oh. I remember when we were driving to Addis-- either to pick up Jasmine or Dad, or we were going to Addis for our departure-- and it was raining and the sun was setting and it was an amazing picture to take. So I tried to get one from my location, but couldn't; then Jonnett tried, but traffic(I think) was getting in the way. Right when I was about to give up, David (our awesome driver) pulled to the side of the road so I could take the photo.  Unfortunately, though, I still didn't get a good shot because my camera was focusing on the water droplets on the windshield and not the sunset in the distance. :/ Ah well.



This picture has nothing to do with the above memories, but I felt like posting a photo. This is from my last activity day. I miss them...

1 comment:

  1. Fancy that..as my date nears to depart for Ethiopia I finding myself digging in the crates of google for Ethiopian Missionary experiences.

    ReplyDelete