Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blog #3

Ishi. It's been a while since I've blogged. But days flow together. Some days are hectic, other days are not so hectic and I forget or I want to rest.

I started teaching music Tuesday of this past week. I taught grades 1-6 twice, except for two classes (Grade 3 and grade 5, I think) that were for Monday. It's fun. They've had music classes before, so what I'm teaching right now isn't groundbreaking information, but they seem to enjoy it. At least most classes.

They're understanding, to a degree, what the Treble Clef is, and its musical notes; and what the Bass Clef is, and its musical notes. Hopefully by the end of Feb I can introduce musical instruments to them. Like my roll-up piano and the recorders.


Wednesday I started teaching ASL at the Foster Home. Fekerite is picking up well. She's understanding most of the signs and can relay to the different signs. Her brother Teddy is taking classes with her as well and is apparently really enjoying it. My last day for the week I finished the 8th or 9th chapter and so I went back on the entire previous chapters in review, and the closer I got to the end, the more he piped up excitedly, trying to beat Fekerite to the punch.

Another Foster Home boy seems interested also. The first two days he tagged in at the end, and the last day he was in for at least half of the lesson, attempting the signs and answering review questions.


Monday I went to visit Tekia(I might have written about him earlier, but he is one of the kids I met on home-visits.) When I was at his house the first time I asked his social worker, Nigist, if there was anything he needed specifically and she told me afterwards that he needed shoes and clothes. So, having been given my month's advance Monday, I went shopping for him. We went to a little clothes store and he picked out what he needed and liked. He ended up getting 3 pants, 2 socks, 1 shirt, 1 pair of shoes. His social worker was betam distonia, and he was happy too, though he was shy and reserved he didn't really show it in the store, but we could tell as we parted ways that he was happy.



The upcoming few weeks are going to be interesting. Tomorrow and Friday I'm going on home-visits, and today we're finalizing plans on a VBS-type thing for Tues-Thurs of next week. It might be a choir portion, and then life-skills training, and activities.

Then the following week I start up teaching again. I'm really enjoying it.


It's whenever I sit down to write these blogs that my mind goes blank. I can never think of what I did, or what I will do.

I'm going to try to take pictures of ASL classes tonight since Jonnett is coming with me. (My camera doesn't have a flash, and I teach at night time, so I can't take any with mine.) And hopefully when I start teaching again Jonnett can come with me and take pictures. I can't really take photos myself since, well, I'm teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment